The Religious Experience
The Religious Experience Objectives
Students will survey mankind's religious history and evaluate the impact it had on modern-day civilizations. Monotheism completely transformed Polytheistic ideologies from a plethora of gods to a systematic singular hierarchy of authority. But, how does all that change your personal life, our modern mind is a child of the Age of Reason, which is laden with ideas of skepticism and doubt. The firm grip of religious ideas no longer invades our beliefs if we don't want them to. However, that doesn't necessarily stop religious ideas from infiltrating our laws, education curriculum, and freedom of hate speech towards alternative believers. Students will review how the Abrahamic religions completely changed the landscape of ancient civilizations in the context of their cosmological beliefs and ideas.
What's the Latest?
To those who pray, the ritual brings them spiritually closer to their god. How do you find inner peace?
View this post on Instagram
prayer. It's time to pray at the Kotel and wherever you are. Pray for the safety of all the inhabitants of the world. We are in Israel, we will pray for you, and you will pray for us. #coronavirüsü #corona #corona🍺 #westernwallnews #WESTERNWALL #westernwallprayers #westernwalljerusalem #thewesternwall #kotel #koteljerusalem #jerusalem #pray #prayer #prayisrael #prayers #prayerplant #prayers🙏 #prayersforhealing #prayerlife #prayforisrael #israel #prayforparis #jewishprayer #jewishpray #jewishprayers #jewishpraying
Thinking about our Religious keywords
- Proselytize: Promote or attempt to convert someone from one religion, belief, or opinion to another
- Dictum: A short statement that expresses a general truth or principle.
- Exegesis: Critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially of scripture.
- Rabbi: Teacher or leader of the Jewish faith
- Iman: Leadership in the Islamic faith
- Mufti: Expounds on the Islamic faith, believed to have profound knowledge on a topic
- Messiah: The promised deliverer of the Jewish nation prophesied in the Hebrew Bible.
- Hadith: The record of the words, actions, and the silent approval of the Islamic prophet Muhammad
- Sharia Law: Religious law forming part of the Islamic tradition. It is derived from the religious precepts of Islam, particularly the Quran and the hadith
- Ten Commandments: Or, the Decalogue, is a set of biblical principles relating to ethics and worship, which play a fundamental role in the Abrahamic religions
The Slides are very large will not show you a preview. You must download them to your computer to view them. They have difficulty opening on your phone.
The Lectures are a Microsoft Word document. You should not have issues opening them.
Applies to all courses
These videos could apply to both my Philosophy and Humanities courses.